HEY GIRL HEY. So I'm starting my vegetarianism again because my animal protein, gluten, empty carb & indulgence experiments haven't gone too well. Rashes on my skin, bad stomach issues, acne, irregularity in my digestive track, head aches, tired all the time, foggy thoughts, slowed down metabolism, weight gain, and muscle loss. I did this because I'm stubborn. And because I wanted to see now that I'm older and since my body reacts differently to things now than it did a few years ago, to see the true differences a diet can make with and without animal proteins, gluten, and overall bullshit foods that everyone swears by is ok for you when in fact, IT'S NOT. Food is so important to the human body. And right now I'm on a mission to cleanse, change my eating routine (once again), and record the changes. Yesterday was my 4th day with no meat, but my 7th day with no bread or dairy products. I did use feta cheese for the rice, but since feta is so light and not a loaded quesadilla which is what I'm used to, I felt it was ok. Right? Right. Okay. So, black rice is AMAZING and iv been eating it for years. Its wholesome, a bit heavier than white rice, doesn't contain cyanide, and is 100% Alkaline which helps balance the body's pH. Its pure fiber and is non GMO. It tastes super wholesome and has a thick consistency that reminds me of risotto. I paired it with asparagus and butternut squash fries! For recipe, read below. Enjoy xo
Black Rice Recipe
- 3 parts water / 1 part rice.
- Before you bring to a boil, add seasonings, which include: Oregano, Fresh Basil, Onion Powder, Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Chili Flakes, Lime Juice & Ginger
- Bring to boil
- Once boiling, add: Cherry Tomatoes, White Onion, Cilantro, Garbanzo Beans.
- Let simmer on medium with top ON for about 30-40 minutes. Do not remove top unless its to stir occasionally. It will slow down the process.
- Remove pot from flame when rice is at your desired consistency. Add water last 15 minutes to make rice softer if softer grains are what you're trying to achieve.
- Serve with avocado or feta cheese on top for flavor. Agave is also an amazing touch as well if you're into being adventurous with your food :)
Asparagus Spears Recipe
- Break Asparagus at weak points and wash thoroughly.
- Simmer spears in a quarter inch of water in a ceramic pan on Med/Hi heat
- Add salt, pepper, garlic salt, oregano, basil, and lime juice to asparagus and let boil/simmer for 7-10 min.
- When a bright green color, remove and drain water. (Water can be used in rice for extra minerals and nutrients, and also not wasting anything from the asparagus you just cooked! Plus it adds some pretty good taste to your rice)
- Serve with light dash of extra salt/butter on top.
Butternut Squash Fries Recipe
- Buy prepackaged crinkle cut butternut squash from Trader Joes for this specific recipe, or buy a butternut squash and cut into fries yourself.
- Preheat oven on HI / BROIL.
- You'll need a baking sheet, olive oil, garlic salt, oregano, & candied walnuts.
- Lay out a sheet of foil on baking sheet and evenly distribute your butternut squash fries onto the sheet.
- Cover all the chunks of butternut squash in olive oil and season with mentioned seasonings as much or little as you'd like. (DON'T INCLUDE WALNUTS YET)
- Pop into the oven until a golden brown tint has covered the top layers.
- Let cool, add candied walnuts and drizzle with agave nectar & serve.
There you have it! A full meal thats super healthy, full of healthy carbs and greens, and is perfect for staying warm in the Fall/Winter time. Enjoy making this with your family & friends! Can you say "New Thanksgiving Dish"? Later dude xo