When you go outside, naturally, your body needs sunlight for essential minerals and energy. Why in the world would you want to block all that goodness out? Constantly, I hear people talking about SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN, but do you even know how bad sunscreen is for you, your skin and your loved ones? Lets put it this way. The chemicals used in sunscreen are MUCH MUCH worse for your skin than the sun alone. With all the endocrine disrupting chemical properties and cancer causing chemicals, you're using sunscreen and contradicting what you're actually using it for. If you eat right, hydrate well, and use the right products, your skin and body will be safe and unharmed. You need to be aware of being Carbon (vitamin D) deficient more than being exposed to sun rays too much. I live in Miami where no matter where I go, the sun is right there with me. And it is HOT, BRIGHT, and STRONG. So iv had to figure out ways of being green, pH balanced, safe AND aware all at once. So what do I use on a sunny day at the beach or working out? What can you use that has multiple benefits and feels amazing even with makeup on?
COCONUT OIL, ALMOND OIL, SHEA BUTTER, and uh, shade?
Essential Oils have been used for SO long for so many different reasons. Good ones too! Without fail, oils are one of the best, most amazing natural substances your body can be treated with. And heres why...
- No harsh, artificial chemicals
- You will still get your daily minerals from the sun without shunning the sun away from you
- You avoid cancers, skin cancers, skin aging, skin discoloration, internal medical issues, premature labor, pre-clampsia, gestational diabetes, and more.
- COST EFFECTIVE
- Fun to make
- Will last 3x longer than an average bottle of over-the-counter sunscreen
- Child/Infant safe
- Essential oils to moisturize, protect, and treat other harmful bodily ailments that you currently have
- Soothing and relaxing sensation
- Safe for your skin to absorb due to the fact that your skin absorbs close to 70% of everything you apply to it
- No warning label to tell you that you'll need to see a physician if rash or burning sensation occurs and/or continues (none of that over here!)
- You know whats going in it
- You can actually pronounce the ingredients
- It makes a great gift! :)
- AND MORE!
Thats only to name a few credible reasons why you should take 5 minutes of your day to make your own concoction of safe, and amazing skin protecting sun screen that will still give you a tan! ;)
How to make it?
- 1/2 cup almond oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 beeswax (optional for a thicker consistency)
- 2 table spoons of Shea Butter
- Essential oils for fragrance (optional)
- For a stronger SPF 20-30, add 2 table spoons of Zinc Oxide. Be careful NOT to inhale the powder. It burns. And this is unlikely to be absorbed in large quantities into your skin, but is still safe and ok to use externally.
Put all ingredients into an all purpose mason jar or glass jar. Make sure you have the lid on the top secured tightly. Place bottom half of jar in hot but NOT boiling water. Keep there until all ingredients are in liquid form. Once melted, remove from water and dry (BE CAREFUL: JAR WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT) shake jar lightly and let sit out to harden. If you decided to use the Zinc Oxide, add it after you have shaken and mixed all ingredients together. Not before. You can even stir with a spoon to make sure all ingredients are mixed in well and dissolved thoroughly.
Just so you know, this sunscreen is NOT waterproof. Because this is a natural and a what we call an "inconvenient" sunscreen, its not going to have the unnatural properties of a drugstore brand. But I promise, it will make life much easier in the long run when you're not in Chemo Therapy or having to get a breast removed from an unknown reason. The doctors will tell you something like, it was a hidden gene that you may have carried out. So lets not go that route and play it safe with mother natures amazing essential oils and minerals! Also, a good and effective way to avoid harmful skin issues, simply wear a sun hat, an airy cardigan or sweater, or be outside but in the shade, out of direct sunlight. It is so important that you get at least 15 minutes of sunlight a day for your body to be up to par with Carbon and essential minerals. Embrace the sun and the healing properties that it gives you. Theres nothing like it! So have fun, make it with your children, make it a creative activity and learning lesson for the family, and lather up! :)
PS- By not adding beeswax, this is an AMAZING moisturizer for at night and on the feet for rough and cracked skin and on a daily basis!
I hope you try this out and let me know if you do! Tag #cheymina and ill feature you on my blog! Look out for more fun tips regarding the many ways to use oils and natural products to make life cleaner :)